ON SUNDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2015 the Fernandeño Tataviam Band of Mission Indians and Pukúu co-sponsored the annual Winter Social Gathering at Las Palmas Park for over 150 attendees.
Since 1968, this event has combined the traditional indigenous gathering for the winter solstice with the contemporary Christmas celebration.
Thank you to our Volunteers, Sponsors, Staff, Performers, and attendants for making another memorable event!
For more photos and updates, visit Pukuu’s Facebook account.
Guest Cultural Performances:
• The Rincon Indian Reservation Youth Storytellers
• Cahuilla/Serrano Bird singers and dancers from the Santa Rosa, Rincon, and San Ysabel Indian reservations, led by ceremonial leader Kim Marcus.
• We’wish (acorn mush) Demonstration by Kim Marcus
• Corn Husk Dolls by Sylvia Mendivil Salazar, Chair of Pukúu CCS Board
• Tataviam Holiday Coloring Activity by the Tataviam Education Dpt.
• Traditional Pump Drill and Acorn Grinding by Bill Maxwell of the Tataviam Education Dpt.
2015 Winter Social Gathering Sponsors:
• 30/30 Fitness
• Fernandeno Tataviam Band of Mission Indians
• Hamer Toyota
• Los Angeles Dodgers
• Morongo Casino Resort & Spa
• Peter Cano Sr. of the Coastal Band of the Chumash Nation
• Pukúu Cultural Community Services
• Six Flags Magic Mountain
• The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Foundation