Pukúu Cultural Community Services Tomiar Rudy Ortega Sr. Scholarship provides up to $1,000 for the 2016-2017 Academic years and was established to assist American Indian students living in California with the pursuit of their education through the granting of competitive and meritorious based financial scholarships. Tomiar Rudy Ortega Sr. Scholarship will provide two awards of $1,000 each to support American Indian students living in California. Scholarships shall be granted to eligible applicants on a yearly basis (as long as there are funds available). Each award is for a 12-month period, renewable for a second year pending demonstration of exceptional progress.
Who is Eligible?
- Must be American Indian or Alaskan Native living in California. (Documentation of enrollment or descendancy is required. Attach a Letter from BIA, Tribe, or Tribal ID and State ID)
- Must be a enrolled student at an accredited College or University.
- Must have engaged in community service within the previous 12 months as validated by their college nominator either on campus or in the community.
- Must have completed the Scholarship application and be in good standing with the Pukúu Scholarship Committee in accordance with the Pukúu Scholarship Rules and Regulations.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all undergraduate students and a cumulative GPA of 3.5 for all graduate students.
Tomiar Rudy “Chief Little Bear” Ortega Sr. Scholarship Application consists of the following:
- The Application (download PDF or see Online form). Please answer all questions, either submit Online, email or sign and return to the Pukúu Cultural Community Services at 1019 Second Street #2, San Fernando, California 91340.
- Personal Statement & Essay Questions (see application). All applicants must answer essay question on a typed separate sheet of paper or digital word file.
- Transcripts – Official copies of student transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended.
- Letter of Recommendation: American Indian Community or Public Community Recommender.
Due date: Friday, August 12, 2016
All documents must be postmarked by the Due date or hand-delivered to the Pukuu’s Administration office. Late applications will not be accepted. No faxed applications will be accepted. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that their application is complete.